Will Smith responds to 10-year Oscars ban

Saturday - 09/04/2022 07:08
The actor has publicly responded to the Academy’s decision today to give him a whopping decade-long punishment for his onstage outburst.

Will Smith has responded to the Academy’s decision to ban him from events for a decade.

“I accept and respect the Academy’s decision,” he said in a brief public statement.

Smith’s response came minutes after the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that it was banning him from all of the organisation’s events for 10 years for slapping Chris Rock at the 2022 Oscars.

“The Board of Governors has decided, for a period of 10 years, from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards,” the Academy said overnight.
 

Will Smith will keep his Oscar – but won’t be allowed to attend the ceremony for a decade. Picture: AFP
Will Smith will keep his Oscar – but won’t be allowed to attend the ceremony for a decade. Picture: AFP
 

The statement continued, “We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast.”

The actor, 53, will keep the Oscar he won this year for his role in King Richard.

Last week, Smith announced he was resigning from the Academy, meaning he could not vote but was still able to be nominated and attend the awards show.

“My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable,” he said at the time. “The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home.”
 

The Academy praised Chris Rock for “maintaining his composure” after the shocking outburst. Picture: AFP
The Academy praised Chris Rock for “maintaining his composure” after the shocking outburst. Picture: AFP


Smith shocked the world when he slapped Rock, 57, across the face on March 27 after the comedian made a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith’s shaved head. The actress, 50, struggles with alopecia, a condition that causes hair loss.

While Smith did not apologise to Rock while accepting his Oscar, he did issue a statement on Instagram nearly 24 hours after the ceremony, writing, “Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behaviour at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable.”

He added, “Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about my Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.

“I would like to publicly apologise to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.”

Rock decided not to press charges and has yet to formally address the matter.

This story originally appeared on Page Six and is republished here with permission.

Author: Editors Desk

Source:

Total notes of this article: 0 in 0 rating

  Reader Comments

Newer articles

Older articles

You might also be interested in:
​Anne Heche’s family gives devastating update  ​

​Anne Heche’s family gives devastating update ​

Anne Heche’s family have released a devastating statement following the star’s fiery car crash last...

You did not use the site, Click here to remain logged. Timeout: 60 second