Wednesday - 28/12/2022 19:44Author: Editors DeskSource: News Corp Australia Network:
A 23-year-old woman who became trapped while driving in the “blizzard of the century” sent a terrifying final video to her family before her death.
A 22-year-old woman killed in the monster snowstorm that pounded upstate New York sent terrifying video to her family while she was trapped in her car for at least 18 hours before she was found dead.
Anndel Taylor became one of at least 28 killed in what Gov. Kathy Hochul has called “the blizzard of the century” after getting trapped while driving home from work in Buffalo on Friday afternoon.
She shared a series of videos with her sisters in North Carolina — the last one just after midnight showing her rolling down her ice-covered window to show a nearby van also stuck with its emergency lights on.
“She was telling my sister that she was scared,” one of Taylor’s sisters, Shawnequa Brown, told WSOC-TV.
Her family told the outlet that she is believed to have been trapped in her car for around 18 hours before she was found on Christmas Eve.
Anndel Taylor, 22, died in her car after being trapped by Buffalo blizzard while driving home from work. She was found after 18 hours. She sent her family this final video from inside the car. pic.twitter.com/w8GBwR9UOm
“She called 911 and she was waiting for them,” her mum, Wanda Brown Steele, told the TV station.
But “everybody that tried to get to her got stuck”, added another of her sisters, Tomeshia Brown.
“Fire department, police, everybody got stuck,” she said, asking why the “state that is known for snow” didn’t have emergency vehicles able to operate throughout the monster storm.
During the storm, Tomeshia Brown posted a message saying they had the “whole [of] Buffalo” looking for Taylor, who only moved back to Buffalo from Charlotte last year to help care for her ailing father.
Taylor told her sisters in a group chat that she planned to get some sleep and then try walking to safety if help had not arrived when she woke, her mum said.
The mum desperately alerted relatives in Buffalo — where Taylor was born — to “go back out there again,” she told WSOC-TV.
“That’s when they busted open the window and seen that she was in there,” the grieving mum said.
Taylor’s mum believes her daughter most likely died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“The car was running, and the snow was still coming, so it blocked the pipes, the exhaust pipe,” she said. “Then after the car cut off, that’s when she iced up.”
It came soon before Taylor’s 23rd birthday — and while she “still got presents under the tree” for Christmas, Shawnequa Brown said.
The family is trying to bring her body back to Charlotte, where they moved when Taylor was 2. So far, an online fundraiser has raised nearly $10,000 of the $12,000 target.
“We’re trying to get her here — because I want her here with me,” her mum said.
Taylor’s grandmother, Sylvia Taylor, told WSOC-TV: “It’s so easy to ask yourself, ‘Why, God? Why?’ But it’s not always meant for us to know the answer to that.”
In a series of heartbreaking tributes online, Shawnequa Brown called her sister “the golden child … The funniest, the realist, the hoodest little sister ever!”
“I’m so so so sorry, I would do anything to have been there with you,” she wrote.
This article was originally published by the New York Post and reproduced with permission